Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Geraldton Trip Day 1 and 2

Last weekend, some friends and I went on a road trip to Geraldton and places nearby. I was very excited to go to the beach (can you believe I haven't been swimming in two years? as a Maldivian, that feels criminal tbh) and to see the sights. We went to a few small trails and saw stunning views (i'm still getting used to hills and rivers) and lots of native wildlife (mostly plants and a few kangaroos!). 

Cervantes




It was a four hour drive from our Perth home to Geraldton, so we had a stopover in Cervantes for a light lunch and I love the strip of beach and how much of a beach town it was. Truly it was giivng Hometown Cha Cha Cha vibes with all the blues. 

The Leaning Tree



On the way from Cervantes to Geraldton lies the Leaning Trees of Greenough the main of which is a native eucalyptus (Wirnda Ngadara in Wajarri) that leans due to the strong south winds. It was truly beathtaking to see it, especially as we were nearing the sunset and the warm glow of the setting sun brought a feeling of true contentment watching the marvel of nature. and years of history unfold right in front of our eyes. There is a poem by Nola Gregory, a Gija/Bardi poet written in 2014 that accompanies the sign near the tree that really reosnated with me, written down here. 

I am Wirnda Ngadara

The leaning tree

I have grown this way

From too much breeze

My twisted trunk

Bowed down to search

And pay respect

To my Mother Earth

Stand here awhile

And look at me

I am Wirnda Ngadara

The leaning tree

Kalbarri National Park


We spent the next day driving another two hours to Kalbarri National Park which is absolutely massive. The Murchison River is stunning and despite the heat (and my shoes breaking down, thus having to duct tape my foot to the shoe), we managed to walk the small Ross Graham trail (named after the first headmaster of the Kalbarri primary school) and see the beautiful sights of the river which was a little dry this season but the teal color absolutely magnificent among the greens and red browns of the trees and rocky plateus surrounding it. The way the Nhanta people lived in the vast area is truly inspiring. 

Kalbarri Skywalk






We also went to the skywalk which gives the most spectacular views of the river and surrounds that seems to go on forever. As someone who's only seen the sea every horizon, it felt so surreal to see just rocks and trees for as far as the eyes can see, it makes you truly feel so insignificant. 

Nature's Window

Next, we took another trail to see Nature's Window, a rock formation where you can see the river gorge down below, which is stunning. The formation of the gorge and surrounds millions of years ago will make you feel a kind of existential calm and revel in just how marvelous Allah's creations are. The walk uphill is a little hard (espcailly for someone like me who truly despises any outdoor activity) but well worth the views (tho I will still complain the entire time haha) despite the blazing midday sun. 

Island Rock Lookout



On the way back, we stopped by the Island Rock lookout, another great marvel where the ocean meets the hilly shores of Nhanta land. I always love seeing the ocean and it's spectacularly juxtraposited to see the same ocean that lands on the beachy white sands of my home also reaches the hilly rocky lands of where I call home now. The tales these waves can tell. 

Castle Cove



We also stopped by the Castle Cove to see the natural bridge formation and see the ocean yet again. I love how the lookouts are made safe and easy for people to come by and easily acessible. The views are beautiful beyond words. We also saw a kangaroo in the surrounds and lots of birds around. 

Hutt Lagoon





Before coming home, our last stop of the day was the infamous Hutt Lagoon also known as the pink lake which gets it name from the high levels of salinity that turns the water into a shade of pink/lilac. We went by close to sunset and it was definitely more pink than blue/green but the camera (by then my camera had died so I was on my phone) doesn't do much justice to how pink it really is. 

By the end of the day, we managed to come home just after sunset and basically just crash! I had to do a quick run to kmart to get new shoes as my feet was duct taped to whatever was remaining of my old running shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I try to reply to every comment personally. Have a good day!