Sunday, March 2, 2014

Spoken Word

Ever since I was young, I have had a sort of a love affair with poetry. I used to by-heart Maldivian poems, mostly Lhen and my family would have "baithu baazee" competitions and I would always win, because I was really passionate about it. Even when I was very young and would not understand the hidden meaning behind some of these poems.

Growing up, I didn't really read much into classic poems and I guess somehow I moved onto other forms of words, mostly  books but the last few years, I've regrown into the comfortable hands of written and spoken word. 

It was about a year ago, that I heard this beautiful poem by Hollie McNish and I remember replaying it again and again because it was so intriguing and ofcourse since then I moved on to Sarah and Phil, and a lot of other spoken word poets that I enjoy but a couple weeks back I saw another Hollie McNish poem and it just reminded me again why I really love words spun together. 

Here are a couple of my favourites.

Mathematics - HollyMcNish | Immigration


This is the very first spoken word I heard, Mathematics. I think we also have this problem and I guess we fail to realize that two plus two is more than four.

I Will Not Let an Exam Result Decide My Fate - Suli Breaks | Education


This is something I've probably shared more times than I can count. I loved school, I honestly did and I loved learning and everything related to it so maybe I don't completely get on what he says but nevertheless, it is such a true poem for many people.

Point B - Sarah Kay | Life


This poem is my favourite of all, I have by-hearted it and I quote it several times a day to Hipster Sister and while she always disagrees, I think part of her also finds inspiration because who cannot? This is the poem I want to teach my children!

Shrinking Women - Lily Myers | Women


A problem very much real in our society. Our women also shrink in comparison to the society and her words really hit where it hurts.

To This Day - Shane Koyczan | Bullying


This poem makes me cry every time I hear it. It's so emotional, so true and everyone needs to hear this at least once in their life.

So, what are your favourite spoken word pieces?

NOTE: THIS IS A SCHEDULED POST

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I try to reply to every comment personally. Have a good day!