Sunday, March 17, 2013

Book Review: Whupped

This is the first book that I actually won on a LibraryThing (if you guys love books, this website should be one of your most visited sites!) and read. I shared a few mails with the writer, Jim Stevens and he was really nice and he's already working on the second book so I'm extremely excited for it.
image credits
I thought it was brilliantly written, in present tense which I'm finding in a lot of books recently. I like that style of writing, it's easier to imagine what is going on. I also like how each chapter was told in someone's point of view and has the name of the person and their "label/role" written. It made it extreme interesting and you get a background into each character and why they do what they do. The characters has depth to them and most characters had a back-story and you feel like you've known them for a long time. The story itself was something I liked since I love wedding and everything about it. The pop culture angle was a nice touch and you were never sure whether it was going to end the way you think. AT some point, I thought things were a bit cruel and Alyssa seriously didn't seem all that bad to have Jake being done all that. 

Short Summary: Jake is engaged to Alyssa and about to get married. Alyssa wants a perfect wedding and Jake;s best friends Conrad and Gideon thinks that Jake marrying Alyssa is a big mistake and does everything they can to stop the wedding, including kidnapping the groom. 

Fav Character: Kay. I know, a weird choice  She isn't even one of the main characters but I think she was a good person despite what she did to make money. She had a heart and she cared. I am just going to be cliche and like people who are like-able. haha. I also thought I had a lot in common with Alyssa. 

Verdict: I thought it was a fun story, also very short and nice. If you are looking for a quick read, this is a great book.
Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I try to reply to every comment personally. Have a good day!