Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros and Cons of being 22

1. Expectations. 
Everyone and their mom has expectations. You are supposed to have certain opinions, dress a certain way and behave exactly how other people think you should. The other day, I bought a Redbull can in the early morning and right when I opened it at work, everyone stared at me jaws dropped because apparently it's very un-me to drink Redbull in the morning. *sigh*

2. Everything has two meanings
I can't even write a sentence without reading it twice to make sure that it doesn't have a double meaning. This is very hard since I work in marketing and I'm always writing things. 

3. Financial Insecurity
I'm at that point in my life where I want to study further but don't want to burden my family so I'm taking two jobs and trying to save up money for a masters degree while still paying rent and bills. It feels good but still, I wish it was easier. 

4. No time for fun
Seriously, where did all the time go? Between my 9 to 5 and several classes per week and working towards DYMag, I have no time to do anything else. If I want to hang out with my friends, I have to make so many sacrifices like cancelling classes (and when you are the one teaching, this actually gets worse) and having lunch meetings.

5. Everything is Childish
Seriously. Everything I love turns out to be only appropriate for six year olds. It's super sad that growing up is just not magical. not at all. Time passes too quickly and soon, having a popsicle is not fun, but dirty. 

6. You are in the middle ground
You are supposed to be an adult and take responsibility but if you want to do something that your peers or parents don't like, you are not really an adult, you just become this 22 year old baby which sucks. Please tell me where the line is, I will gladly go there. 

7. Everyone else is getting married, or having a baby
Everyone you meet keeps asking you questions like when are you getting married or hinting that you're getting too old as if your only job is to marry and bear a child and as if getting married was not enough, your classmates in high school are either A. pregnant or B. already a mother. I'm sorry but I don't think I can handle a baby right now, so just pictures of babies would be fine. 

8. Everyone else seems to have their shit together.
So many times it seriously feels like I'm the only one struggling with the twenty something things because everyone else have perfect manicures, can make great dishes, has a healthy relationship with someone they love, has great style, goes jogging and basically is just Glen Coco and I am here wondering how in the world they do it all. 

9. Going out with people in no longer frowned upon
You can hang out with friends, family, anybody basically and even if anyone sees you out, they won't make a big deal of it like they used to in your teen years. You just say hi and move on. Your parents usually don't hear about it because being 22 means you are boss of you. This comes really handy because hello freedom! No more lying to go out with boys. 

10. You are young enough to learn from your mistakes
This is seriously the best thing because I make a ton of mistakes but everything is a learning experience and I love that I can devour this life in whole, the good and the bad. It's exhilarating and overwhelming but I know that there are good things in my way and that makes being 22 just about right. 

What would you add to this list?

2 comments:

  1. Relationship status - hopeless.
    You have dated enough arses that you are waiting for an imaginary perfect person.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I try to reply to every comment personally. Have a good day!