Sunday, February 10, 2013

Book Reviews: Hollywood Murders and Letters to Friends

Last few weeks have been rich on the reading part. I've been reading e-books like crazy, my LibraryThing account gets visited everyday and I keep discovering new people and their lives. 

image credits
Looks to Die for was nicely written. I loved the name drops to famous brands, the Hollywood glamour, the sleuthing wife and the adventures. There were a few nice surprises and some not so nice, but the story was well written and held my interest till the end. It was my kind of story. I sort of felt it was like Nancy Drew - after she changed her name, became an interior designer and left Ned for a doctor - and it brought back many memories I had of reading about the girl detective and how she got out of tough situations. 

Short Summary: Lacy, an interior designer's doctor husband is accused of murdering an upcoming actress, so Lacy goes on detective mode to prove her husband is innocent, meets with an ex-con, a self obsessed TV persona and several Hollywood people, and has to balance her family, love life and work in between solving the murder case.

Fav Character: Lacy Field. As I mentioned, hello modern day Nancy! She was sophisticated, tough, mysterious, cunning and the kind of woman every girl wants to be. 

Verdict: If you love thrillers, this would definitely be good for you. Even if not, I would recommend it though. Lots of details and a fun read. 
Rating: 3/5

image credits
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is so so amazing. Seriously. I loved how it was written all in letters and throughout the book I was falling in love with Charlie and his friends, trying to figure out who the friend was and being excited about the music and literature mentioned in the book. The characters are very well defined and it was relate-able. After finishing it I could not figure out who the friend was so Abe told me it was ME! It was the reader, because the reader is the kind of person who did not sleep with that person at that party. It made me feel all good inside. 

Short Summary: Charlie writes letters to a friend in which he describes tackling high school  his family, meeting new friends, falling in love and some secrets of the past. 

Fav Character: Charlie. In most books, my favourite character is usually the main character because I see the world through his/her eyes and it becomes easier to relate to. Charlie was me in a lot of ways. He and I both love reading for pleasure and while I'm not generally a wallflower, I do tend to be one among unknown waters. 

Verdict: Whether you are 13 or 46, you are going to enjoy this book, it is beautiful  brilliant and extremely happy. You should definitely read it, especially before watching the movie so that you'll know Charlie better. The movie (as usual) missed some very important plot twists and moments. 
Rating: 5/5

What are you reading this week? I'm reading 50 Shades of Grey (YES, it is disturbing  and Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I try to reply to every comment personally. Have a good day!