Friday, July 19, 2019

An Ode to Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

I have been obsessed with this show since I saw the first episode back in 2015. Musical drama? yes, please. I have loved every single season, from the funny theme song to all the crazy that was unfolding with great musical numbers ofcourse. I am finally caught up with the ending (I know, yeah took me a while cos I didn't want it to end and didn't want to admit it ended) so in an ode to this groundbreaking show that handled mental health in such a great way and constantly broke the fourth wall and was certifiably funny, let's go on a musical nostalgia trip down the memory lane and talk about all of my favourite songs (out of the 157 or so songs, I was barely able to cut down to even this cos there were SO MANY great songs)

Season 1



How can we forget about the theme song? It's still probably my favourite theme songs out of all seasons and I still say "it's a little more nuanced than that" a lot more than I should. West Covina's in my travel list thanks to this show.



Oh I still miss old Greg so much, while he was kind of bland and hate everything-ey he had a great relationship with Rebecca and this musical number is so adorable I sing it a lot. It's in my top 5!



This song is kinda funny and look at how young everyone is (esp Hector!) and how fun are the lyrics? group hangs are truly the worst.



Oh this is by far, my favourite rap battle, ever. The line "I put the OG in the 5.0 GPA" is so iconic, I stan. I know this entire song by heart and it's kind of insane but I really really loved how it all came full circle later in season 4. Absolutely fantastic.



This is the only Darryl song I like. I liked his chracter a lot but they definitely played around with it a lot. This song is a bopper and Darryl here reminds me of the 13th doctor ahaha. 



WHAT A MAGICAL SONG? oh I was always wary about Jobecca but this song was so adorable and magical and such a great ending to the season, so perfect. I loved when Becks and her brother sang this in reprise again in season 4, it's just absolutely full of whimsy and joy. I wish life was always filled with this song.

Season 2



OH CAN WE TALK ABOUT THIS THEME? so freaking cute. I love when she does that BLAM. Just, so damn good, a great start to the second season. 



This song is literally my favourite song from the entire series. I've watched it way too many times than I care to admit and shown it to all of my friends. I love the Marilyn Monroe reference and all the triangle puns, everything is so fun. ah, when they did the quadruple love triangle song in season 4, it was kinda meh but I'm so glad for the existence of this song and it will always bring me so much utter joy.  



Ah, Brittany Snow. This song just kills me with how funny and accurate it is. Also can we talk about how absolutely gorgeous Brit is, she is oozing so much grace and as much as I hated that she was with Josh (if you haven't figured out already, yes I really disliked Josh ugh) I'm glad she was in the show and had this great number. 



After the math of love triangles, this is my second fav song ever. Santa Anna Winds as a character? hell yes. What a great idea and Erin really played the part and made this a lovable and adorable an of course absolutely bonkers song. I live for when he sings "weeeeeirrd". 



Honestly, second season had the best songs, so many and this one's another favourite, I LOVED the idea of the song and how feminist and anti-feminist it is the same time and at the end when Paula is confused dancing. I also loved the female friendships in this show so much, it all works out great and uh so healthy, love love love it.

Season 3



So different, yet absolutely hilarious. I love the Taylor Swift reference here and the confusing messages which was so in-line with this season omg. Also can we talk about the outfits, so appropriate. 



I actually did like all the sexy getting ready songs and the period sex song, despite how completely crazy they were (haha) but this song, ooh it's so sexy and still so weird and funny like how does Rachel do it all? Also, this song really made me #TeamNathaniel. I was very much torn in the later season but a big part of me wanted Rebecca and Nathaniel together. 



I actually loved Trent eventhough he was super weird and was a subverted male crazy boyfriend trope. Season 3 was definitely very interesting because of Trent. He deserves a special mention and that BLAM omg. Trebecca, as problematic as it was, was a whirlwind and hilarious. 



Oh, how can we forget jail Rebecca and sad outdoors Nathaniel in this song (forget about Josh, ugh). When Nathaniel later sang Becks' song, I was like OMG HE'S SINGING HER SONG!

Season 4



Oh I loved this theme too, they just always get the theme right! I loved Debra and all the crazy things she says, I diligently watched every episode just to see what she says! Can we have a mini episode of Debra?



Jim and AJ are definitely favourite recurring characters, they are absolutely amazing and this song was hilarious, especially the part where the lawyer comes and says this is not the views of the network, lmao. 



How can we forget this cringe song that's absolutely hilarious and happens in a graveyard? Absolute cringe indeed. The dresses, oh man they are so great. 



Another hilarious number from this season, I loved how it went to different genres of music and Darryl and White Josh were all like, wait this is not about us? Also let it be known I LOVE Maya. She's so great, one of my fav side characters, and she truly embodies the millennial employee. 


Ending this with my favourite number from this season, brilliantly played by Luca, what an adorable kid. I was laughing along to all the child star references, it was so well done. 

I have so much love for this show and it will always remain a favourite. Thank you Rachel Bloom and the team for bringing so much joy to my life through all these songs and your utter brilliance. I wished so much I was able to see the concert, how magical it would be to see everyone. I also loved that Skylar played Greg later, and he did justice to the role, While season 4 definitely was a bit love-hate-ey for me, I'm glad it ended on such a good note. It was phenomenal and I'm glad i have these songs to keep me company!

What was your favourite song?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I try to reply to every comment personally. Have a good day!