Monday, February 3, 2014

and who do you think you are?

Who am I? The age old question. I really honestly don't know. There are a few things that define me as a person like being a Muslim. No matter what, no matter where I go, I'll always be a Muslim and all decisions I make (and mostly not make) is because I am one. Being a Maldivian, being a girl, being in my 20's, etc. But as everyone else, I'm not just defined by one label and I hate when I go to places and have to define myself as just one label, like I'm some kind of a 2D character that only exists in a story book.

Who I am also is different to different people. When I am at work, I am a different person than when I am at home, or with friends and that is perfectly fine. My personality does not change, I merely just adapt to be able to do what I do and there is nothing wrong with that. Sure, people at work doesn't really know me as this extremely weird, fandom obsessed person (maybe a few people know, because they are friends with me on Facebook) and that is fine. My friends don't really know how I am at work (except for the fact that I do not know where the scanner at work is, which is a shame I know. Thank god for Scanner apps!) or how I am at home and that is fine as well.

Honestly, I don't know any one person who's always consistent no matter where (Perhaps only fictional characters like Sheldon Cooper can do that) and everyone is always slightly different with different crowds and that does not mean they are not being themselves. I don't have to yell song lyrics and make Harry Potter references at work for me to be myself and vice versa.

The point is, you are a three dimensional character who has more than two friends and you are more than just one role. You are someone's son, someone's daughter, someone's brother, someone's mentor, someone's employee, someone's significant other, etc and unlike all these fictional characters you can't really truly be just one thing to everyone because you have different roles with each one. Life is not a story book where your character only has one job. Life is much more than that and who you are changes every now and then. When you discover more about yourself, sometimes you don't like certain things and you change them and maybe you might pick a skill or two, date a person or not, eat that last piece of cake or just go swimming. You are a person with so many sides it would make a square jealous and no one should tell you any different.

When the world tells you that you are not what they want, remember that you are who you exactly want to be. When the lights seem dim and you feel like nothing is right, remember that the sun always shines bright. When you look up at the sky and wish for a mad man in a blue box and he doesn't come, remember that he's never met anyone who isn't important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I try to reply to every comment personally. Have a good day!